ZRB's Cyberspace - Health & Fitness

Health is wealth. But what defines good health? I started on this little quest and found out some very interesting answers. Just collating it all here so that I dont forget it myself. :-)

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

My blogs will talk for me...

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Reducing body fat & weight

As I started to look for ways to lose weight, I started to focus more on fat burning exercises like walking, jogging etc. However sadly, given my sedentary lifestyle, this is easier said than done. I can not go walking for an hour with the sun shining at 32C given that I sleep late at 2:30 or 3:00 almost everyday and wake up late around 10:00 or 11:00.

I remembered a diet plan that a friend of mine had sent around a little earlier, The General Motors Weight Loss Diet Program. When I first saw this, I thought of this as just another diet control plan and give much thought to it. But now, I had to go back to it and check if it would be worth it. I did a little googling and found that this plan does work, though there were only 2 relevant hits.

At the same time my parents were going out of town for 2 days and I was anyway a bad and lazy cook, who prefers instant noodles with TasteMaker over anything else. So I decided that it was the perfect time to start the routine. To my advantage, my parents had to stay out of town for 3 more days, so I was not disturbed for 4 of the 7 days of the program. I'll explain the basic GM Weight Loss Diet Program separately, but here I'll just tell you what I did during that whole week.

Day 1 - All fruits day.
=======================

Remember
--------
NO bananas, NO cooking, NO oil, NO milk, NO coconuts

All day long.
-------------
Pineapple - 1 large, full.
Papaya - 1 large, full.
Apples - 2 large, full.
Oranges - 3 large, full.
Chinese Pears - 1 large, full.
Sweet Lemon - 1 large, full.
Water - 10 large glasses of it.

I just kept eating these whenever I felt like it. This doesn’t look like a diet, does it??? Eating so much. The key reason for the success of this program is that you should never be hungry during this program. Hunger is the biggest hurdle in any diet program, because the cravings are hard to resist when you are hungry. This was enough for me, because I got up late and went to bed a little earlier than normal. I would not have had any trouble having another pineapple if that were needed.

Day 2 - All vegetables day.
===========================

Remember
--------
NO oil, NO coconuts

Breakfast.
----------
Potatoes Boiled with salt - Many till I felt I had eaten enough. I think I had 6/7 small potatoes. The actual program asks you to eat just 1 large boiled potato.

Lunch, Dinner.
--------------
Green Capsicum - 2 large pieces
Fresh Carrots - 2 large (remove the dirt, the ends & the skin and slice into circular pieces)
Bitter gourd - 1/2 large
Tomatoes - 3 large (sliced into pieces)
Cabbage - 1/4 (sliced into pieces)
Salt - for taste
Baby corn - 2 small
Green beans - 4 (sliced to pieces, only green beans : no butter/kidney/other beans)
Coriander - as much as you like (I initially confused celery & coriander)

With this I also added a bit of Jaljeera powder to give it a little spice. I boiled these all together in a large bowl till very little water was left in it. I just ate these boiled vegetables.

Snacks
------
Cucumber - 1 large, full
Fresh Carrots - 2 large, raw & full

Day 3 - Fruits & vegetables day.
================================

Remember
--------
NO potatoes, NO bananas, NO oil, NO coconuts

Breakfast
---------
Apple - 1 large, full
Orange - 1 large, full

Lunch & dinner
--------------
Green Capsicum - 2 large pieces
Fresh Carrots - 2 large (remove the dirt, the ends & the skin and slice into circular pieces)
Bitter gourd - 1/2 large
Tomatoes - 3 large (sliced into pieces)
Cabbage - 1/4 (sliced into pieces)
Salt - for taste
Baby corn - 2 small
Green beans - 4 (sliced to pieces, only green beans : no butter/kidney/other beans)
Coriander - as much as you like (I initially confused celery & coriander)

With this I also added a bit of Jaljeera powder to give it a little spice. I boiled these all together in a large bowl till very little water was left in it. I just ate these boiled vegetables.

Snacks
------
Pineapple - 1 large, full
Papaya - 1 large, full
Oranges - 2 large, full
Cucumber - 1 large, full
Carrot - 1 large, full

I had fruits whenever I felt like it. :-)

Day 4 - Bananas and milk
========================

Remember
--------
NO potatoes, NO oil, NO coconuts

Breakfast
---------
A glass of warm milk, overheated at first & 2 bananas.

Lunch
-----
3 bananas. GM Wonder soup.

Evening
-------
A glass of warm milk, overheated at first.

Dinner
------
A glass of warm milk, overheated at first & 3 bananas.

The GM Wonder Soup
------------------

The GM Wonder Soup. Pretty easy to make. The program recommends you to have this soup in any quantities on any day. But I first needed it only on this day.

Tomatoes - 3 large, sliced
Capsicum - 2 large, green, sliced
Onions - 6 large, sliced
Coriander - as much as I liked (Again I confused coriander & celery)
Cabbage - 1/4 large, sliced

I also added beetroot, carrots & some green chilies with some salt for taste. But in hindsight, the beet and carrots could have been avoided. Boiled this with enough water and drank the water when it was reduced to half, which itself was about a large glass. I didn’t leave the veggies, I ate them all.

Surprisingly, as predicted by the program, I wasn’t feeling that hungry this day. Maybe because I was expecting it to be worse. Normally I can eat 8 bananas just after dinner. But I was feeling full most of the time. I did get hungry late in the night since I had to work late that day and had 2 extra bananas.

Day 5 - Feast day, tomatoes & rice
==================================

Remember
--------
NO bananas, NO cooking, NO oil, NO milk, NO coconuts

Breakfast, lunch & dinner
-------------------------
Rice without salt & 2 large boiled whole tomatoes.

Snacks
------
I made more of the soup that I had taken the previous day and ate the vegetables whenever I felt like it.

Mom was back and she took care of the rice. As mentioned earlier, I am a bad cook and don’t know how to make rice without a microwave oven. Again surprisingly, I wasn’t as hungry as I thought I would be. One cup of rice is almost a full typical South Indian lunch box (just one, not the multi-layered ones :-) ).

Day 6 & Day 7 - All vegetables & 1 cup of rice
==============================================

Remember
--------
NO potatoes, NO oil, NO coconuts

Breakfast, lunch & dinner
-------------------------
The GM wonder soup (I added carrots, chilies and 1 beetroot + salt for taste) and 1 cup of rice. Whenever I felt hungry, I had the vegetables, raw and cooked (cucumbers, carrots).

On Day 7 I had typical South Indian dinner; rice + curry (Kaara Kuzhambu).

The result
==========

I didn’t get to travel too often the following week, but a week after the program was completed I measured my weight and waist. I was pleasantly surprised. I am now 76KGs (-4.5KGs) and my waist is 33"+ (-1.xyz inch). Two of my pants which didn’t fit before fit perfectly. :-D


Besides, my ribs are visible if I raise my hands high. Earlier, that was not the case. I am planning to do this again the last week of this month and once again next month end, so my BMI can come to normal.

Now back to chiseled abs in my next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home